Every animal that enters our care is assessed for their individual needs. Not all animals are good candidates for fostering, our foster program selects which animals will benefit from fostering and matches them with a foster home. Foster homes provide a safe and calm environment for the animal while they wait for their forever humans. It is important to keep in mind that the ultimate goal of fostering is to make the animal happy and more adoptable.
Ideally, our foster homes will have a combination of the following:
- A quiet calm home in the Whistler area (Squamish/ Pemberton when required) with 1-2 people
- Love, time and patience
- Landlord approval
- No other animals in the house
- Access to a fenced yard, or trails nearby
- Access to transport to drive the animals to vet appointments, adoption appointments, spay/ neuters etc.
- Willingness to regularly pass on photos, health and behavioral updates to staff
- Ability to administer medicines and follow after surgery instructions (if necessary)
- Full time foster care preferred (creates routine for the animals, helps with shelter numbers and intake plans)
- A consistent work schedule with flexibility of working with WAG’s operating hours. (For meet and greets, pick up/ drop offs, vet appointments etc.)
- If we do not have a suitable animal in need, we will keep your application on file and will contact you when one becomes available. Applications from homes with children or pets will be held in case of a match, but these homes are needed less frequently. (Current pets must be up to date with vaccinations and neutered/ spayed.)
- Please note, this is not a ‘Foster-To-Adopt’ program. We are looking for ongoing foster homes.
- WAG will provide all necessary food, litter, medication, accessories (food/water dishes, beds, toys, leashes, harnesses, litter boxes, etc.) and anything else the animal may require.
- If you are unable to foster, please consider donating to the care of our animals via our website!