WAG IS LOOKING FOR A NEW TREASURER!
The WAG Board of Directors is currently seeking applications from those interested in joining the Board of Directors in the role of Treasurer. The Treasurer is responsible for working with the Executive Director to ensure that effective financial systems and procedures have been established, are being consistently followed, and are in line with best practice and legal requirements.
The Treasurer acts as an information and reference point for
the board: clarifying financial implications of proposals; confirming legal requirements; outlining the current financial status; obtaining relevant documentation; and helping the Board manage financial risk within financial policies.
General responsibilities of a Board Member:
• Committed to the mission and values of WAG
• Knowledge and understanding of WAG policies, procedures, and programs
• Ability to attend monthly board meetings
• Awareness and ability to refrain from conflict of interest
• Act as an ambassador for WAG to the community
• Active involvement on Board committees in addition to attending monthly Board meetings (.approx. 3-6 hrs per month)
• Foster teamwork and positive working relationships among board members and staff
• Prepare for and participate in discussions with the board
• In conjunction with all board members, monitor the effectiveness of WAG
• Accountable to donors and members for services provided and funds expended
Treasurer Roles and Responsibilities:
• Oversees the management of the finances of the organization, including the budget, as approved and reviewed by the Board and managed by the Executive Director.
• Ensures the keeping of clear and accurate financial records, reports, and returns as necessary to comply with the BC Societies Act and the Income Tax Act.
• Ensures financial policies and procedures are adhered to by Board and staff.
• Provides quarterly reports to the Board on the financial state of the organization, ensuring the Board understands the finances of the organization so that sound decisions can be made.
• Acts as a signing officer of the Board.
• Ensures current and acceptable financial practices are in place in the organization.
• Finalizes the financial statements of the organization and presents the statements at the Annual General Meeting in partnership with the Executive Director.
Treasurer skills and experience required:
• Current knowledge of accounting practices
• Accounting designation (or currently in progress)
• 4+ years of professional experience
Whistler Animals Galore (WAG) is a not for profit animal shelter and rehabilitation center. Our mission is to provide a safe and nurturing environment to homeless and lost dogs and cats in our community and to be advocates in finding their forever homes. We place a strong emphasis on rehabilitation, critical, and compassionate care.
If you’re committed to making a difference in the lives of animals, we’d love to hear from you.
Interested individuals are welcome to submit a resume, together with a letter that outlines your interest in joining the WAG Board to: