Gizmo – Adopted April 2022!
Breed: Collie/Terrier mix
Age: 2 years old
Energy Level: In recovery from surgery at the moment
Training Goals: Basic Manners
House trained? Yes
Kids? 15 years+
Cats? Yes, but with supervision and separation
Dogs? Yes, but with supervision and separation
Medical Needs: Ongoing Check ups with her medical team
Gizmo has been in a foster home since her surgery and they had this to say!
Thoughts on a perfect home: a medium (at the very least) active woman who would appreciate a very
affectionate, smart dog. Someone who would like to do things with their dog and doesn’t mind a “Velcro-dog” and a dog that would prefer to go on couches. I bet Gizmo slept with her previous owners. She would work well in an apartment.
Can be submissive but warms up quickly to women, hesitant with men (she rolls over, no fear-aggression).
Very sensitive. Soft commands are all that are needed. She is very happy to please.
A very happy dog… wags A LOT!
She is SMART and would love someone who could teach her tricks and give her mental stimulation. With that intelligence, she knows how to ‘work the system’ and could be a good ‘manipulator’ LOL I bet she would do well with some forms of agility training.
She is fine with cats and dogs. Since she is so demanding of human attention, she should be placed with really easy going dog(s). She has given my dog a couple of growls and snapped at my dog when Gizmo was getting attention from us. My dog Charlie did do a reprimand one day when Gizmo was too excited in Charlie’s face, Gizmo listened so that shows good doggie sense. She would sleep next to Charlie if given the chance but my dog has never been into snuggling with other pups/dogs in the years of fostering.
She is not food focused. We can eat our meals right next to her and she doesn’t beg or bother us.
Being a bit of a monkey, I do not know if she would steal food from a coffee table but I would hazard a guess that she would not.
- belly rubs, snuggling and being right beside and touching people
- balls and fun squeaky toys. Once healed, she’ll be throwing toys around for herself in no time.
- to be with people, touching them but she can settle into her bed while I am working or doing things
around the house. I just say “go to bed” and she’ll go to it.
- Squirrels. She likes to watch “squirrel TV” outside my patio door. Watches… no barking or whining.
- A bolster bed – seems to be her preferred bed format.
Perfectly housetrained. Doesn’t need to go out right away in the AM. Example, nighttime pee around 10pm and goes out around 9am-ish for pee/poo after her meal.
Not sure about children. When she gets excited, she chomps her teeth at you in the air. It is pretty funny and cute. So that chomper action can connect with fingers and she will air chomp in front of your face in you are low down. So that makes me think older dog-respectful children would be best.
Easy to give meds to.
No separation anxiety.
She can get underfoot, especially first thing in the morning and when you come back to the house.
Things to note:
- She does alert bark at the door and when people come into the house. Beyond that, she is quiet in
- I think she would be an escape artist so if placed at a house/townhome, it would require thorough
fencing with no gaps.
- No idea how she is on leash as she is still on very limited activity and no idea if recall would work
outside of our yard.
- Not a huge water drinker. I mix in water with her kibble to ensure better hydration.